With all the excitement surrounding the Ethereum merge scheduled for next month, the number of Ethereum Name Service (ENS) addresses created have surpassed the 2 million mark, according to a Twitter post by ENS Domains.
See related article: Ethereum will soon turn 7 — and its upcoming ‘Merge’ will be well worth the wait
- Ethereum Name Service (ENS) domains are secure domain names for the decentralized world.
- Nick Johnson, the lead developer of ENS, said in a post of his verified Twitter handle: “It took 5 years to reach 1,000,000 names then only 3.5 months to reach 2,000,000!”
- The extensive adoption can be seen by the fact that several prominent personalities — including Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin, and Coinbase’s Brian Armstrong — have added the .eth extension to their names on Twitter accounts.
- According to data from Dune Analytics, about 2 million ENS registrations have been completed so far, with 527,452 unique participants and 375,410 primary names registered.
- Ethereum’s long-awaited transition to proof of stake (PoS) may occur ahead of schedule on Sept. 15 or 16. The transition to Eth2 is expected to make the network faster and more energy efficient.
- Ethereum was trading at US$1,821, down 0.4%, at 8.30 a.m. in Hong Kong, according to data by CoinMarketCap.
See related article: Binance to support Ethereum’s PoS Merge, evaluate new forked tokens