Roblox CEO Dave Baszucki said on Wednesday the metaverse platform will begin testing an immersive advertising system later this year as a potential means to increase revenue.
See related article: Naver’s Zepeto metaverse starts blockchain initiative with Solana
- Roblox is expanding its brand team in preparation for a pilot of immersive advertising for Gucci and Tommy Hilfiger, Baszucki said in a second quarter earnings call.
- Roblox is a gaming platform that allows users to develop their own games on it. Fashion brands like Gucci and Tommy Hilfiger have built interactive games on the platform and sell virtual costumes.
- “Imagine a AAA partner had a small pop-up in the town square and players will be able to choose whether to stop by, use that pop-up or portal or door, you name it to jump over to one of our brand experiences, experience something new, pick up some free merchant and back, pop back to the experience that they’re playing,” Baszucki said on the earnings call.
- Immersive advertising refers to advertising through AR, VR and three-dimensional (3D) modeling technologies, which allows merchants enhance their interactivity, with examples such as Google’s product 3D ads service Swirl and Snapchat’s filter ads.
- Roblox’s average daily active users in the second quarter were 52.2 million, according to its financial report released on Wednesday.
- The platform’s second-quarter revenue is US$591.2 million, up 30% from the same time last year, the financial report said.
See related article: How can I become a metaverse real estate mogul?